High school football teams gearing up to play Wednesday night can mean only one thing: The end of the regular season is here, and the start of the playoffs is just around the corner. *For the first time this season the Richfield Spartans will face another 3A team in the playoffs.
Classic Suburban Conference: Spartans (1-6, 1-5) vs. Spartans (2-5, 1-5)
Missota Conference: Stars (6-1, 5-1) vs. Chaska High School Hawks (1-6, 1-5)
DeShawn Jones—(Richfield wide receiver)
- Had a season-high 69 receiving yards and his first receiving touchdown last weekend.
Corban Halbur—(Richfield quarterback)
- Threw for a touchdown and had a rushing score . He has thrown for 628 yards this season.
Darion Fletcher—(Simley cornerback/wide receiver/wingback)
- Scored four touchdowns in the Spartans’ 46-36 win over Duluth Denfeld. He had two rushing and two receiving scores. Fletcher is a three-year starter who has drawn recruiting looks from Northern Iowa, South Dakota State and North Dakota State.
Nick Wanzek—(Simley quarterback)
- The junior had a season-best 130 yards passing and 85 yards rushing as he contributed three scores in last week’s win.
Sam Keis—(Holy Angels quarterback)
- Keis ran for 135 yards and threw for 164 more against Northfield a week ago.
Carter Severinson—(Chaska running back)
- Severinson rushed for a team-best 42 yards in Chaska's loss to Farmington last week.
Richfield Spartans will win if ...
They can improve their rushing defense. The Spartans have allowed 1869 rushing yards and 23 touchdowns this season.
Simley Spartans will win if ...
They can build on their offensive showing last week. The Spartans scored 46 points in the win over Duluth Denfeld after scoring just 46 in their first six games combined.
If the Stars win …
They will sew up the No. 2 seed for the 3AAAA playoffs behind St. Thomas Academy and ahead of likely No. 3 seed South St. Paul, which suffered its first loss of the season last week against Mahtomedi.
If the Hawks win …
They could still vault past St. Louis Park and possibly Simley to snag the No. 4 seed and a first-round home game in the Section 3AAAA playoffs.
Editor's Note: It was originally written that Richfield wouldn't make it to playoffs this year, however every team will play at least one game.