Richfield S.T.E.M. School, formerly Richfield Intermediate School, was launched in the fall of 2010. S.T.E.M. is a focus school and stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. While its curriculum meets all district requirements for all subjects, teachers and students dive more deeply into the sciences. The goal of teachers and school administrators is to create an environment that students enjoy learning in. The school believes if students are engaged and excited, there will be high performance and completion. The first unit all students embarked upon was the study of the monarch butterfly. The school has computer, science and engineering labs, so kids can be hands-on learners and explorers.
- Hours: Office hours: Mon - Fri, 7am - 3:30pm; Sat, Sun, closed. School hours: Mon- Fri, 7:45am - 2:10pm; Sat, Sun, closed.
- Handicap Accessible: Handicapped parking; ramps
- Founding Date: The building was established in 1958.
- Number of students: 800
- Male-to-female ratio: About 46% female; 54% male
- Public/Private: Public
- Religious affiliation: None
- Accreditation/licenses: Currently working with St. Catherine University in St. Paul for S.T.E.M. certification for teachers.
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: free
- Number of faculty: Over 120 staff
- What makes this community special?: The city design feels small-town. Anywhere you go in the community you know or recognize someone. People are very personable.
- Montessori: No
- Grade levels: K-5
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Library, Sports facilities