Attorney Bob Bennett said the family of Jeffrey O'Connor, who was 25 when he was killed last October, hasn't decided whether to file a civil lawsuit. A grand jury declined to criminally charge the officers involved in the death of the mentally ill man. Richfield police told Fox 9 it was too early to comment.
According to Fox 9:
Sgt. Mark Shelley, a 23-year ... veteran of the department, said in his interview that two of the officers each used a Taser on O'Connor; however, both said he immediately got back up in a threatening manner and thrashed the knife at one of the officers.
It was then that Shelley fired two shots, killing O'Connor inside the home. By mid-July, all three had been cleared of any wrongdoing—but the family remains unconvinced.
Related at Richfield Patch:
- Officer-Involved Shooting in Richfield; Police Investigating
- Richfield Officer Shoots and Kills Man in Friday Incident
- Authorities Release Name of Man Killed in Officer-involved Shooting
- October Officer-Involved Shooting Still Under Review
- Police Chief Releases Statement, Names Officers Involved
- Grand Jury Clears Cop Who Fatally Shot 25yo Richfield Man