(Additional reporting by Caitlin Burgess)
Update: 1 p.m. Oct. 1, 2013
Burnsville police said an announcement regarding the investigation into Anarae Schunk's disappearance will come sometime Tuesday, according to the Star Tribune.
Original Text: 9:15 a.m. Oct. 1, 2013
The family of Anarae Schunk has been asked to provide dental records after a body was discovered in a roadside ditch near Lonsdale Monday night.
According to the Star Tribune, Tyson Schunk, Anarae’s brother, said police requested the dental records about 9 p.m. Monday so the medical examiner can “rule it out or quickly identify” whether the body is his sister.
The family is still hoping for the best, however, police reportedly told the family late last week that they believed the 20-year-old college student was dead.
As Northfield Patch reported early this morning, the Rice County Sheriff's Office confirmed late Monday that a body has been recovered from a ditch in rural Lonsdale.
According to the Lonsdale Area News-Review, on Monday afternoon sheriff's deputies were dispatched to a remote area in the 7000 block of 60th Street West in Lonsdale-Wheatland Township. Neighbors told the local paper that a Rice County employee discovered a body while cutting weeds in the ditch.
The Bureau of Criminal Apprehension was called in to examine the scene.
Authorities have released few details, and the identity of the deceased has not yet been confirmed.
Schunk was last seen Sept. 22 on video surveillance at a Burnsville bar with ex-boyfriend Anthony Nelson, who prosecutors charged Thursday with murder in the shooting of Palagor Obang Jobi at the bar. The 20-year-old University of Minnesota student worked at Don Pablo's restaurant in Richfield.
Related at Richfield Patch:
- Search Area for Anarae Schunk Narrows to Portion of Apple Valley
- With Word of Bloody Jacket, Searchers Seek Anarae Schunk's Body
- Anarae Schunk Is Dead 'Without a Shadow of a Doubt'
- Friends Fire Up Facebook to Find Missing Woman
- Two Charged in Burnsville Homicide
- Burnsville Police: Investigators Continue Search for Missing Woman
- $5K Reward Offered in Case of Missing Student
- Police Searching For Vehicle Used to Flee Homicide Scene
- Police Search for Missing Woman Last Seen with Homicide Suspect
Related at Burnsville Patch: