Fans of Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen were stoked last fall to hear a location was being planned for Richfield.
However, nearly six months later, the restaurant has yet to be delivered, and Richfield Patch is getting plenty of inquiries as to when it will happen.
While an exact opening date has yet to be announced, on Sunday Popeyes confirmed with Patch that an opening is targeted for July 2013.
As previously reported by Patch, Popeyes had said it was aiming for a spring opening, barring any construction complications. Popeyes did not say if any delays caused the shift from spring to summer.
The new restaurant will take the place of the former KFC at Hub Shopping Center. Here's a little timeline of what's been happening since the acquisition:
- Popeyes acquired more than a dozen bankrupt KFC franchise locations in Minnesota last fall, including the one in Richfield. At the time of the acquistion, Popeyes planned to re-open the restaurant under the new name.
- A fresh paint job was done on the former KFC late last fall and the windows were boarded up for the winter. The boards were recently removed from the building.
- A remodeled location opened in Brooklyn Park in March 2013.
- A Patch drive-by on May 9, 2013 didn't show any signs of activity inside the restaurant. The photos accompanied with this article were taken at 11 a.m. that day.
Patch will update readers as more information becomes available.
- Popeyes to Open in Spring
- Popeyes Chicken Coming Soon to Richfield
- Richfield KFC Shutters Doors; Popeyes' Takeover Pending
- KFC Shutters Doors; Popeyes on the Rise: No. 4 Story of the Year