Restaurateur Alex Chen has brought good taste to Hopkins’ Mainstreet—literally.
Aji, the restaurant he opened in January 2011, means “good taste” in Japanese. Chen’s restaurant specializes in sushi and sashimi, with a fine dining ambience. It also has a hibachi grill, soups and other foods for Japanese and American palates.
“I just want people to relax, take the time to sit and enjoy the meal and atmosphere,” he said.
Chen, who even designed the restaurant’s logo, has been hard at work since before Thanksgiving preparing the space at 712 Mainstreet. The restaurant opened Jan. 23 to great fanfare.
The food isn’t just tasty. Chefs craft the sushi rolls into colorful creations.
But even though the restaurant advertises a fine-dining experience, Chen has tailored the prices to attract workers looking for a reasonably priced lunch. Aji Japanese Restaurant has a variety of sushi rolls, sashimi and grilled entrees in the $10 range. The highlight is a $12.75 lunch buffet that includes sushi, soup and salad bar.
Aji Japanese Restaurant
Location: 712 Mainstreet
Phone: 952-358-3558 (takeout is available)
Website: www.ajicj.com (The site is not yet fully operational.)
- Monday-Thursday: 11 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Friday-Saturday: 11 a.m.-11 p.m.
Food: Specializes in sushi and sashimi. Also has appetizers, soups, salads, rice bowls, noodle soup bowls, bento boxes (single-portion takeout meals), and food from the hibachi grill.
- $12.75 for the all-you-can-eat sushi, soup and salad bar.
- Basic sushi rolls cost from $3.50 to $4.75, while specialty sushi rolls range from $8.50 to 11.50.
- Sashimi costs $6.75 to $7.50 for four to five pieces.
- Bento boxes cost $11.75 to $16.75.
- Hibachi items cost $8.75 to $12.50.