The Richfield Recreation Services Department has opened the outdoor skating season at various parks throughout the city.
The warming house days and locations are:
- Christian Park, open Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays;
- Donaldson Park, open Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.
The warming houses opened on Dec. 26, 2012 and remain open through mid-February 2013. The hours are:
- Monday through Friday, 4-8:30 p.m.;
- Saturday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.;
- Sunday, 1-7 p.m.
Special holiday hours are:
- Monday, Jan. 21 (Martin Luther King Day): 10-7 p.m.
- Thursday and Friday, Jan. 26-27: 10 a.m. 7 p.m.
- Thursday and Friday, Feb. 14-15: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Skating sites without warming houses are located at Augsburg, Fremont, Jefferson, Madison, Roosevelt and Taft parks. All, with the exception of Fremont Park, have lights until 9 p.m.
In the event of inclement weather the department may decide to close the rinks for the safety reasons. The buildings will remain open unless:
- The air temperature is 10 degrees below zero or the wind chill is 20 degrees below zero;
- Unusually warm temperature soften the ice making rinks unsafe for skating;
- There is a snowfall of two or more inches.
Residents may call the department's weather line at 612-861-9189 for information on rink and building closures.