As part of the Interstate 494 improvement project, new closures and openings are beginning Friday, Sept. 28 and ending early Sunday, Sept. 30.
The ramps from southbound I-35W to westbound I-494 and westbound I-494 ramps to and from Penn Avenue will reopen late Friday or early Saturday morning. In addition, the ramp from southbound France Avenue to westbound I-494 will close Sunday night. Exact times of openings and closings have not been given by the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
MnDOT said drivers should expect delays throughout Richfield, Bloomington and Edina when the change happens. The France Avenue closure is expected to last until late November.
Other current ramp closures that will be in effect until late fall include:
- The ramp from Portland Avenue to westbound I-494. Detour: westbound East 77th Street or American Boulevard West to Nicollet Avenue to westbound I-494;
- The ramp from westbound I-494 to Nicollet Avenue. Detour: exit to Lyndale Avenue and then use eastbound East 77th Street or American Boulevard West to access Nicollet Avenue;
- The ramp from northbound France Avenue to westbound I-494. Detour: continue northbound on France Avenue to westbound Minnesota Drive to westbound 77th Street to southbound Highway 100 to westbound I-494.
- The ramps from northbound and southbound 24th Avenue South to westbound I-494. Detour: eastbound I-494 to the 34th Avenue South interchange to westbound I-494.
- The loop ramp from southbound Hwy 77 to eastbound I-494. Detour: westbound I-494 to the I-35W interchange to eastbound I-494.
- The HOV (“carpool”) ramp from northbound Hwy 77 to westbound I-494.