With construction of one of the underway, more ramps will be closed first thing Monday, Aug. 20 as crews continue working west.
According to a Minnesota Department of Transportation release, crews are currently working on the lane between I-35W and Highway 100 and construction on the second lane between Portland and Nicollet avenues will begin soon.
The following lanes will be closed before morning rush hour traffic Monday and remain closed until late fall:
- The ramp from Portland Avenue to westbound I-494. Detour: westbound East 77th Street or American Boulevard West to Nicollet Avenue to westbound I-494;
- The ramp from westbound I-494 to Nicollet Avenue. Detour: exit to Lyndale Avenue and then use eastbound East 77th Street or American Boulevard West to access Nicollet Avenue;
- The ramp from northbound France Avenue to westbound I-494. Detour: continue northbound on France Avenue to westbound Minnesota Drive to westbound 77th Street to southbound Highway 100 to westbound I-494.
While three ramps are closing Monday morning, two loop ramps at the I-494 and I-35 interchange will reopen: northbound I-35W to westbound I-494, and westbound I-494 to southbound I-35W. The ramps have been closed since late July.
Other ramps that are currently closed and will remain closed until mid-September are:
- The ramp from southbound I-35W to westbound I-494. Detour: westbound Highway 62 to southbound Highway 100 to westbound I-494;
- The westbound I-494 ramps to and from Penn Avenue. Detour: Use the ramps at the France Avenue interchange.
MnDOT said that once the Penn Avenue ramps reopen in September there will be closures at the France Avenue interchange.
Other work beginning the week of Aug. 20 includes overnight shoulder reconstruction and surfacing. The eastbound shoulders will be reconstructed first, followed by the westbound shoulders. Motorists should expect lane closures as a result.
Patch will update readers as road, ramp and lane closures and detours are announced.