Ask a Patch Pro: Car Crashes, Claims and Auto Repairs

This week, our Patch Pro, Don Juen, is on hand to help you get your vehicle back on the right track following a car accident.

Ice, poor visibility, distracted driving, plain dumb luck.

Whatever the cause, many of us will get into a car accident at some point in our lives—and not everyone knows how to navigate insurance claims and car repairs that following the accident.

That's why Patch recruited Don Juen, the owner of in Oakdale, to lend his expertise and answer questions about the car repair and insurance claim process.

Have a question? Post your thoughts or concerns in the comments section and then check back with Patch later to see what they have to say.

Click on the links below to see other installments in our ongoing "Ask a Patch Pro" series.

Oakdale Collision August 30, 2012 at 06:36 PM
We always tell people to call the police. They may tell you that they are to busy and not come out. But, I would always call. If they dont show up I would file a report at the police station or on the Department of Motorvehicles website. They couldnt do anything on private property but if you would have been on the roads they may have showed more interest. Check the online lists of " What to do in case of an Accident " and they all say..." Call the Police " Feel free to stop in here and I can give you a list for your glove compartment. Something every young driver should keep in there car
Chris Steller August 30, 2012 at 06:37 PM
We had a car catch fire. The dealership and the insurance company gave up trying to figure out why it happened. Was there something else we could have done or should have done?
Oakdale Collision August 30, 2012 at 07:16 PM
Chris Steller; Vehicle fires ar very hard to determine what causes them. With all the electrical components...It's so hard to tell
Susan August 30, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Heyitsme, I found it very helpful to contact the Minnesota Insurance Commissioner the couple times that I have been given the runaround by an insurance company regarding a claim. If you do your homework and know what the vehicle was worth and what the replacement cost for the new car is etc. Send a letter (with a deadline) demanding payment and cc it to the insurance commissioner. Contact the Insurance Commissioner by phone if you don't get contacted by your claims department by your deadline date. You will be surprised at how quickly your claim will get settled and you receive your check.
Heyitsme August 31, 2012 at 03:33 PM
The difference here is the car was intentionally set on fire by some unknown perp. It wasn't an electrical fire or something wrong with the car. The police impounded it and the state fire marshal investigator, local fire marshal and a detective were called in. I will check with MN state insurance commissioner. Thanks!


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »